Remember the shchi? I only used half a cabbage to make that soup so I hauled the other half from NY back to Boston… and then it sat in my fridge for 3 weeks until I finally had the time to do something with it! Yup…
This 3 week break was certainly not for lack of imagination as to what to do with it. I love cabbage! The first dish that came to mind, though, was my mom’s red cabbage salad – it gets it’s gorgeous
red pink hue from the beets (my other favorite ingredient).
I hear over and over the stereotype that Russian recipes are super heavy. While we love our meat and potatoes… and sour cream, oh yes, sour cream – there are plenty of fresh dishes made with simple ingredients. Like this red cabbage salad. The cabbage, beets and carrots are all shredded and finished with a light vinaigrette which sort of pickles them. It’s a salty/sour combo you don’t want to miss!
Ingredients (makes one large bowl’s worth):
- 1lb cabbage (about 1/4 head)
- 1 carrots (or more, they’re delicious in this!)
- 1 medium beet (or more, again – the more the merrier in my book!)
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 3/4 cups water
- 3T canola oil
- 3T vinegar (my mom hates vinegar so she actually makes it with citric acid – I did the same – 3T water + 1T citric acid mixed in)
- 2t salt
- 2t sugar
Note: After slicing the cabbage I realized that half a head is way too much so I halved all the ingredients (the recipe above reflects this)
1. Shred cabbage, carrots and beets; combine.
2. Add garlic
3. Make your vinaigrette by combining the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then remove from stove.
4. Pour over the veggies.
5. Toss to coat all the veggies
Love the crunchy, slightly pickled cabbage. I enjoyed it right away on the side of some chicken, topped a salad with it the next day for lunch… and then just grabbed the bowl above and ate my weight in cabbage that night. Yup, that good. Make it asap and let me know how you like it!
Are you a cabbage love like I am?
Until you started reading Russian Bites, what did you think of Russian food? Is that view changing?